Part of the successful volunteering or internship is our pedagogic concept Shamiri follows. This concept focuses on global learning and the development of engagement. You as a volunteer/intern always have the chance to co-create your seminars.
You will be able to attend a preparation seminar in Germany or online for two days organized with our partner Rose of Hope Tanzania e. V. (ROH). The next preparation seminars are on:
- 9th-10th of July 2022 (Altötting, Germany)
- 17th-18th of September 2022 (online)
- 10th-11th of December 2022 (Altötting, Germany)
This seminar focuses on the preparation for your stay, information about what you should expect and organizational preparation (visa, work permit, health care, insurance).
Additionally, you will have to take at least 20 hours of online language & culture classes by the International Centre for Intercultural relations Language and Development (ICILD) before your departure.
Our 5-day arrival seminar in Tanzania starts on (more dates will follow)
- 22nd of August 2022
- 10th of October 2022
- 14th of November 2022
- 16th of January 2023
During your stay we accompany you through daily/weekly meetings with the mentor and the facilitator together with all Volunteers or one-on-one meetings. Also, you will continue to learn more about the language and the culture through your classes at ICILD.
Every month for one full day we will hold an inter-seminar. Part of this seminar is the reflection and evaluation of your experience and your current personal situation as well as cultural insights.
Together with ROH we organize a follow-up seminar in Germany for two days (Friday-Saturday), which takes place twice a year. The next possible dates are:
- 9th-10th of December 2022 (Altötting, Germany)
The content of these follow-up seminar is mainly the reflection of your service.
After a successful volunteering you will receive a certificate of Shamiri, your project and ICILD.
The costs for your sustainable Volunteer service are covered by yourself, therefore, we advise you to set up a support community or look for a job before/after your stay.
In the following we will explain all our costs, as transparency is a key factor in our work.
Costs for going with Shamiri
We differentiate between short-term (30-90 days) and long-term stays (3-12 months). In advance we ask you to pay one-time costs of
short-term stay 400€ (250€ if you apply till June 15th) or
long-term stay 600€ (450€ if you apply till June 15th).
This price includes:
- accommodation, food, materials etc. for your preparation and follow-up Seminars in Germany,
- costs for arrival seminar in Tanzania,
- administrative costs and
- a language class worth 100€ (20 hours)/300€ (60 hours). You will receive an enrollment document, which you will need for getting your visa for Tanzania.
Each month will cost you 400€ (200€ if you apply till June 15th). Monthly Costs must be paid before the 1st of each month. This price includes:
- full accommodation,
- food (Breakfast and Dinner, Monday-Friday),
- salary costs for the staff of Shamiri,
- costs for inter-seminar and
- administrative costs.
Additionally, there will be costs for
- short-term stay: volunteer visa US$ 250 (90 days), or
- long-term stay: student visa US$ 250 (multiple entry for two years),
- additional language classes (if you want to do more than the 60 hours, which are included in the one-time costs),
- your vaccines (check with your health insurance what they will cover),
- an insurance abroad (we advise Dr. Walter), which costs around 40€/month,
- your flights from your hometown to Mwanza (usually between 700-1000€ for a round-trip),
- additional food (at the weekends), drinks, etc.,
- transport costs to go to town, your language class, your project etc.,
- spare time money for travelling, going out etc.
Accommodation in Mwanza
We are planing to welcome the first Volunteers in August 2022. Until then, we will find a beautiful accommodation for the Volunteers. It will be located in Mwanza, close to the city center and the projects we cooperate with.
Latest one month before your arrival we will share all the information with you.